Monday, April 30, 2007

Summer in the city...

Today was the hottest April day Salt Lake City has ever had...at 88 degrees. Oh what a beautiful weekend it was. I love warm weather...I don't love hot weather but I love warm weather. I sat out on our grass with a blanket and a book and oh it was the best feeling. There is something about the smell in the air on a warm evening that reminds me so much of my teenage years. It makes me want to do something mischievous. The smell tonight was hamburgers grilling somewhere in the distance...grass...dust...and a faint smell of cigarettes (our neighbor around the corner must smoke). I am not someone that likes the smell of cigarettes but they do smell delicious to me if it is faint and far away. Oh it also has to be hot outside. It reminds me of the Grant County Fair. I love the Fair. I don't know if any of that makes sense. But the smell and feel of the air tonight reminded me of yester years. Of nights spent driving past the bowling alley...or through the church and school parking lots...seeing what people were up too. And of course ending the night either at Safeway hoping to run into someone or at Sherie's for some cheese fries and a shake. I instead watched my children play inside my husbands truck...having so much fun, while a read a book. It was a pretty perfect evening and I didn't even have to get all dolled up and change my outfit five times like I used to have to do on a night like tonight. It is almost 1:30 in the morning right now (I just finished the book I started today) so I realize a lot of this won't make sense. It was just such a nice weekend.

2 comments:

Laura Lei said...

Hmmm...I love ML summers. When it first started getting warm here, I turned the A/C on in the car for the first time and just the smell made me nostalgic. Right now it feels like a Moses Lake summer...warm but not too hot. I think that's why I love Arizona...because of the never-ending summer.

amber said...

hey ash