Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Typical Monday

Monday morning I was sleeping so sound. So cozy. Cortney came in at 6:00 a.m. and told me "the basement's flooded". Just like that. I said "oh...okay, is Robbie okay??" I just pictured his crib floating away. I got dressed and sure enough there was a couple of inches of water in our basement. Talk about stress. I hate stuff like this. I just want to be a kid forever. I don't ever want to have to deal with adult stuff like this. Cali came over and brought a shop vac (man, shop vacs rule) and we started the process of cleaning things up. It was stressful and I kept thinking..."this is the worst", immediately after my mind thought that it would reply back "no this isn't the worst...your brother is in the hospital, this doesn't matter". Yes, my mind has conversations with itself all the time. It really is true too...a basement flooding doesn't matter. It is inconvenient, and stressful but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't the "worst". I had a huge cardboard box filled with every picture we have and thankfully it was on top of another box, so my pictures were left unharmed. I am not really sure what happens next. We can't turn our water on for now so we spent the night at Cali's. A plumber comes today and hopefully it will be a quick fix. When I called my dad he said..."ash, call your insurance company they will take care of this" I hadn't even thought of that. Thank goodness for dads.

3 comments:

Laura Lei said...

What a monday...thank goodness for dads (and sisters with shop vacs). I've been thinking about and praying for your brother-in-law.
Love you,
Laura

Berta said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that makes me SICK! Been there, done that! I'm so, so sorry - I wish I could have been there to help you guys! Hope you're doing better now.

Alisha Marlatt said...

same thing happened to us on Conference weekend! Except it was UNDER our house. Our crawl space was flooded. Turned out that our sprinkler system was broken and flooding underneath our house! Craziness!! I can definitely sympathize.