Wednesday, January 16, 2008

lights out

So not last night but the night before...Oliver spent throwing up. He is such a happy sick person. He made every single throw up in the toilet. And the next morning he was pretty happy the whole day. When he was a baby...I would never know that he had ear infections and such because he would never complain. He is a good boy.

Cali and I hung out the whole day and then Cortney and I and Shane and Cali...got together to watch American Idol and eat take out. It was fun. Then we drove home at around 10:30 and all of the houses on the drive home had no lights on. It was weird. There was a huge black out that effected a lot of Orem's west side. When we got home the lights had been out for an hour and the house was alredy 62 degrees. We didn't know what to do as the blackout hotline said we could expect the power on by 6:00 a.m. We ended up all crawling into our king bed with tons of covers. Luckily the power came back on around 2 or 3 a.m. so we didn't get to cold. It was kinda exciting...and then kinda boring. There really is NOTHING to do without power. It really made me think, "just how prepared are we". I did find candles and flashlights right away...but we didn't have an extra heat source and that can be dangerous. I do however have 6 weeks worth of those like army type meals. They cook up with these little charcoal packets that come with them. Of course...that isn't really the emergency essentials we will ever need. There is something about crisis that I always think will be exciting...like last night I thought...wouldn't it be great if the power stayed off for like four days. Then I come to my senses and realize it wouldn't be great. Or when I bought my emergency meals...I thought...I hope the bird flu does come so I get to use these...I know that is sick. I changed my mind real quick though.

4 comments:

khepworth said...

When we were in St. Louis, our power went out for like a week. It was the middle of summer-super hot, super humid. On day 2 we couldn't stand it anymore. We threw everything away that was in the fridge and freezer, packed up the car and made the 24 hour trip home to Idaho. That sucky Rexburg wind never felt better!

dirty>south said...

Walla Walla didn't have power for close to a week, and then ours went out for about 6 hours last week.

I was like "oh snap, we have no food storage," but then I remembered I had hit the cold cereal sale at the grocery store the day before at bought 30 boxes.

Problem solved.

Cindy said...

It's never as glamourous as it sounds! In Midway over the New Year, we got snowed in at our cabin and could NOT get out for 2 days because of where we are. We did have power and plenty of food and water, BUT when you want to go somewhere and can't it gets under your skin. Glad you all stayed warm and the power came back on fairly quickly!

Samantha said...

I think it might be from the days where blackouts meant ghost in the dark with our whole family, cause I feel the same way. It's kind of really exciting.