Tuesday, May 13, 2008

my mothers day

I love mother's day.  Man there is nothing better than being adored for what you do everyday.  I love my kids asking "is it still mother's day" when they are wondering whether or not they still have to be good.  And above all else I love love love the guiltless sleeping in, while Cortney jumps up to help the kids...instead of our usual, where both of us are ignoring the kids pretending to be totally asleep and hoping that the other will get up and take care of their needs.  This year however we were up at the crack of dawn (7:45 a.m.) so no sleeping in for me.  We dressed and got ready for church.  Cort did ask if I wanted him to bring me some cereal in bed (nice try Cort).  

Once we were at church I could tell Oliver was getting pretty worried about getting up there and singing for me.  He doesn't like getting up in front of a crowd.  When it came time, I told him "push your way up all the way to the front...by the wood".  Sure enough when he got up I saw him move slowly from the back row to the front.  Man I was beaming with pride.  First they say the song that goes "I often go walking in meadows of clover..." No one in the whole primary really knew the song.  Oliver kinda just stood there and smiled at me.  Then they sang "mother dear I love you so".  This one we had practiced.  I wanted him to be prepared.  And as it started I could only hear Oliver singing.  I about burst that is how happy I was.  What a wonderful present.  All of his primary leaders couldn't believe how loud he sang, since during singing time he doesn't really do any singing at all.  He really is getting old and I am entering a whole new stage in motherhood.  I am no longer the mother of toddlers.  weird.  

When they got out of class they both had gifts to give me (I love it when teachers do this).  Robbie had a picture of him in a frame that he covered with foam stickers. He unfortunately didn't want me to have it. He kept saying "happy mother's day, my present" it would get more and more forceful if I tried to take it from him.  He did let me look at it a lot though.   Oliver made me a card and a hand cut out on a stick with the jobs he was going to do for me on it. 
Make bed, give you a flower, give a hug and kiss, free, clean room.



Here is his card he made for me.  He did realize once we were home that he forgot to give me arms.  

I don't have a picture of Rob's gift because he left it at Cali's house. (he cried all day for it today)

Cortney gave me JUST WHAT I WANTED...a picnic table!!  I have been wanting one for two years maybe.  He picked it up at costco on Saturday and we put it together, together.  haha.  
I am going to make my kids eat all of their meals outside (weather permitting).  I am so sick of cleaning up food messes all over the house (somehow Rob thinks he can eat whatever whenever and wherever he wants).  We started this morning with their bowls of cereal.  Rob woke up at 9:00 a.m. so it was a little warmer outside.  They thought it was pretty cool.  Now I just need and umbrella for the middle of the table so they can be  shaded in the hot summer.  

In the afternoon we all ventured over to Cali's to talk to Elder Mike Earl while he is in Paraguay.  He sounded great.  The same.  I didn't think he would.  I don't know why.  It was nice.  

Then in the evening we had our Survivor season finale party at Cali's.  It was really funny because five years ago there would be 20 adults at the party tons of food and a couple of babies and toddlers.  But as the years have gone by we have all had more kids and now no one can come.  It was cortney and I, Cali and Joey and Shane.  Wah wah waaaahhh.   It was still a really fun night and possibly my favorite survivor finale ever (despite the wrong person winning).  

All in all it was a great day, happy day to me. 

7 comments:

Jared said...

Ash, Happy Mother's Day! Oh and I have to agree, the wrong person won survivor. : ( But Emily and I also felt that this was one of our favorites seasons of survivor.

Angie said...

didn't you think the jury "questions" were just plain odd? what was up with natalie asking about parvati and the bedroom...odd.

Angelique said...

I wish I could eat on the picnic table...I love eating outside at least when there is no wind. :)

lanita said...

I agree, I just love the cute little cards the kids come home with for you! Chase made a flower out of a cookie & gumdrop for me in nursery. He just couldn't quite let it out of his hot little hands & by the time we got home he had devoured it. So cute!

Berta said...

Ash -
That is a 'sweet' account of Mother's Day - reminds me of the old days - I'd give anything to get them ALL back. I loved the handmade cards and gifts from the kids - many I still have.

I have to tell you - that pic of R.O.B., looking up from his cereal bowl, looks JUST LIKE Cort when he was that age! EXACTLY like him! I'm so glad you all have at least (1) kid like that - takes me back in time ! ! ! ! YOU'RE A GREAT MOM!

mumovearls said...

I loved the little gifts that my kids made also! Their teachers had helped them wrap the gifts up, but each of my kids unwraped the gifts before they gave them to me! It's just so sweet that they are so excited to give me a special homemade gift!-nena

The Clark said...

um, ash, 7:45 is NOT the crack of dawn!

you are a darling mom. i'm so inspired by how into your kids you are. cheers to you (late) for mother's day!