Monday, July 19, 2010

pavlova


Have you ever had pavlova?? I had never had it until right after I had Oliver...my friend Molly made it for a party. I tasted it...and then practically ate the whole pan all by myself. She even made me one this last time I was pregnant. Ohhhh it has got to be one of my favorite desserts. Creme brulee and Pavlova. For sure my faves.

We had gotten a bunch of fruit because I decided to try out bountiful baskets. It is a produce co-op and you get a bunch of fruit and veggies for 15 dollars. I can't decide if I think it is a stellar deal or not. I know you get the produce for cheaper than it would cost in a store...but...I probably wouldn't buy white asparagus, or blue berries because they are too expensive. On the other hand...my kids loved having something other then bananas and apples which is the produce we usually have. The first week I did it this is what I got.
7 ears of corn, bananas, cherry tomatoes, cantaloup, brussel sprouts, summer squash, white asparagus, lettuce, oranges, grapes, blueberries and nectarines.

We have ate everything we got in a week (except for the brussel sprouts...I want to roast them but it has been too hot). It was nice to have tons of produce.

Anyways back to the pavlova...I had some fruit and I thought it would be a perfect time to try my hand at making a pavlova. I have always kinda been scared of them...because it seems like the shell could be tricky to make...plus you have to have parchment paper, which I never have.

I used this recipe from allrecipes.com. It was easy and turned out delicious. It is the perfect summer dessert...making fresh produce the star. I used what I had but it would be yummy with just about any fruit (besides banana...yuck). You should do yourself a favor and make this.

Next time I make it I am going to follow this recipe.


p.s. Mine was a little overdone...so next time I will probably cook it 5 minutes less (it shouldn't be quite so brown). I also sweeten my whipped cream with a little powdered sugar and almond extract (I love almond extract)





Even though it was a little overdone it was still so good...even better the next day for lunch.

Now here are a bunch of pictures of my boys playing on the tramp...it might seem dangerous but I was right there and I wasn't letting them jump with henry on the tramp.

This here is a pretty typical summer evening for us. Lucky for you guys...you can hear just how loud it is. hahaa. Looks peaceful and relaxing...pictures can be so deceiving.


Look at that happy face...and you can kinda see his two new teeth.

we have been having shish kabobs like crazy. To me it is the perfect summer dinner. (don't mind the totally dirty grill...yick)


They kept saying that henry looked just like baby Jesus wrapped up like this.


It surprised me just how much Oliver and Henry's profiles look the same in this picture.
They have the exact same eyes...and ears...haha.


Poor baby...he always has someone in his face.



It looks like Henry has had enough.


I don't know what my boys are doing here.


Have I mentioned lately how great Cortney has been doing lately. SOOO much better. He still is really sore (crazy that he can still be hurting) but he is sleeping better at night...and able to help me around the house A LOT more.

We are so grateful and so blessed. A young mom was riding her bicycle this last week here in Draper and was hit by a truck...she died and left behind two little girls. It breaks my heart.

It scares me to know how close that was to being Cortney.

Seriously, it sucks that he is hurt and it has been so hard, but we are SO blessed.
I am grateful everyday that Cortney is getting better. He is such a good dad. My kids are always asking which arm is hurt so they know which side they can climb on. It is pretty cute.


10 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

I do bountiful baskets too! i love it! I have done a little math and if you buy each of their items at their cheapest sale price, then its about the same price as the basket. But since you can never get every item at its lowest, its a sweet deal. Plus we eat WAY more produce now because I have to get through it!

Your boys are just too good looking!

Doug Earl said...

I want some pavlova and kabobs. Your yard looks so fun. I´m glad to see that red t-shirt.
Love Mom

Angelique said...

I've been wondering about the bountiful baskets. I buy a lot of produce as it is and wondered if it is that much cheaper. I'll have to try it, maybe.

Gords said...

Those pics of Henry make me smile he is so adorable. Good to see Cortney is getting better. You're right, you guys are VERY blessed.

{natalie} said...

i always love your posts ash.


i've never had pavlova and it looks delish.

brennabrens said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE PAVLOVA! It's an aussie dessert which means we have it all the time around here. You should see if you can get my Nana's recipe!

Kristy said...

Ashley you're my new dessert twin. I LOVE both Creme Brulee and Pavlova. That's impressive you can actually make it. I tried one time and it ended up looking like edible cardboard.

Supercords said...

I did a little math myself. I'm an encyclopedia of supermarket prices. If you were to buy everything you listed in your basket at a reasonable price, it would be about $20.

If the $15 includes delivery, then I think it's a pretty sweet deal. I've known people in other states that do co-ops, but I didn't realize we had one here. I'm checking out your link now.

bBchronicles said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh - ALL that delicious FOOD! I LOVE BOUNTIFUL BASKETS - actually, I think the cost of that food would be closer to $30 where I live - it's a killer deal!

I'm going to make some of your luscious dishes - kabobs especially. I LOVE this post and all the HAPPINESS going on - I KNOW the noise comes with it - package deal! It looks like heaven to me - just what I love. I'm SO HAPPY Cort continues to improve - and my heart is SO SAD for that mommy - poor little family - just NOT fair any way you look at it.

THANKS FOR SHARING.

Kandee Lou said...

I'm going to have to try that povlova (or have you cook it next time you're up!) It looks way light and delicious, the perfect summer treat. I'll take some of those kabobs too!