Monday, December 10, 2007

good sunday

Sunday morning was stake conference. I thought I heard Elder Hales was going to be the speaker. So I told my parents (who are here by the way), and they decided they were going to be coming to church with us. So we headed over to the Stake center 30 minutes early and there were tons of seats left. I thought there was no way I was right about Elder Hales...because the place would be packed if that were the case. I was right though...Elder Hales and his wife were there along with a couple from the 70 ( I thought the name was Elder Moon...or Boon or Coombs...I have no idea). It was so awesome to hear a General Authority speak. Especially in such a small setting. Afterwards I stayed for a Youth question and answer fireside. That was even cooler because just the chapel was filled. It was great to hear them. He talked about the "decade of decision" and how the decade they were in would have the most effect on their lives in the eternities. I loved everything he said but it REALLY made me realize that I wasn't in that decade anymore. It also made me so grateful that the church was important to me in my teen years...because that is when I got married. Anyways...enough about that it was great though.

Kae Lynn had her baby today. I don't know all of the details but I do know she was like 8 lbs 10 oz and 21 inches long. Baby Abigail. I am glad she is finally here.

Baby Abigail


We had a little get together last night and they gave KaeLynn and Mike a blessing. It is crazy getting ready to send Mike off...and my parents. It will be really hard. But I am excited for both of them.

ohhh...I was also tagged by my friend Andrea Jewkes...
here goes...



Do you celebrate Christmas? um...of course.

How do you greet people at this time of year? Oddly enough I don't greet many people...but when I do...If I remember it's Christmas time I try to say "merry Christmas". Mostly people just walk by laughing at me because Cali's kids and my kids are being so bad...I just smile back with a look that says "i know, they are crazy aren't they?"

Do you believe in Santa? Ummm....no...I wish....Craig Stark ruined Santa for me when I was a measly 5 years old. We were at my dad's office (where his dad rented an office) after school. He let me know right there in the hall.

Do you have a Christmas sweater? NOO. I think it would be really funny to have a really gaudy one though and where it with stretch pants. I actually think I would wear it. hahaa

Do you have Christmas socks? No...I am lucky if I actually have girl socks. As most know I just wear Cortney's...and the heel comes up past my ankle.

Favorite Christmas cookie? Cali and I make these cream cheese dutch cookies every year. They are covered in cornflakes and have a marchino cherry on top (for looks only). I got the recipe from a childhood neighbor. I LOVE THEM. Too bad no one else will try them...it is an acquired taste. Oh...I also love love love a good sugar cookie with frosting.

Eggnog yes or no? No eggnog. My brother in law JoeZone...loves it though. I bought him some eggnog taffy on Saturday.

Open Christmas presents Christmas day or Christmas Eve? We like everyone else would open PJ's on Christmas Eve...and an ornament from my Grandma Earl. I still do both for my kids.

Favorite Christmas smell? Peppermint by far. I ordered a twisted peppermint wallflower (smelly thing for houses) on November 23rd and it still isn't here...what the heck??

Does Santa Wrap presents? Yes he does...I don't have enough kids yet for there to be things unwrapped...Christmas would be over in 2 seconds if that were the case. I wrap every little thing...so they have tons of little things to open. (it backfired on my when Oli was 2 though because he kept crying "too many presents")

Do you hang mistletoe? No

Favorite gift ever given? I have always been a good gift giver. (not to brag) I just can think of things easily. Last year I made my mother in law, and Grandma in law an ibook. It was filled with pictures of all of their children and grandchildren. It was awesome. The both loved it, and hadn't seen a lot of the pictures I used. That was the best.

The year before that all of my siblings were home in Moses Lake for Christmas...We had ordered a jade sculpture of the tree of life hyroglyph for my dad. It was expensive and we had to order it over the phone in SPANISH from a Brenda Fong at the Marriot Resort in Guatemala city. Cali was on the phone with her for days. We had it rushed (it was one week before Christmas) and when it came it was broken. Arghhh. So we got back on with Ms. Fong and she had another on to us by Christmas Eve. He loved it, but we also had made them a little poem book with all of the grandkids and he had tears pouring down his face as he read it. That Christmas was great.

Favorite gift ever received? Cortney and I don't do too many gifts. But last year he had my wedding ring fixed (as a surprise) I hadn't worn it for a year and didn't even know he had taken it. He also gave me some really good sunglasses (the white ones I am wearing in every picture). They were a great gift and he didn't spend very much so I didn't have to stress about it. The perfect gift...sentimental...and under 50 bucks. I loved it.

White Christmas? Heavens yes...I love snow. I love winter period. In fact when we lived in Rexburg and it would snow...I always thought "yeah I think I can live here." Although...a lot of the time we are in Mexico for Christmas I love that too...but I like it to be snowy before I leave to Mexico.

Favorite Christmas carol? Sam I and I always loved the spoof of the 12 days of Christmas that is called 12 Pains of Christmas. We recorded off the radio and would sing it all the time. So I downloaded it a couple of years ago and it is still one of my favorites. I also love Oh Holy Night. When I was younger Laura and I would sing it in opera voices all the time.

Do you send Christmas cards? I wish. I am the worst at things like that. This year HONESTLY I am sending out a Valentine card. That is if I get a good family picture while we are in Mexico.

Real Tree or Artificial tree? Um...that one is tricky. I love a real tree and I ALWAYS had a real tree growing up. We always had a real one before we had kids. But I am also a REAL cheapskate. I hate spending 25 dollars on a tree that is dead by the time you get it home. We cut one down one year and it was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. So now...I set up my 16 dollar tree from target branch by branch every year. Every year I think "this is the biggest pain to set up...that is it, next year we are putting up a real tree". But then next year comes and I put up my 16 dollar tree once again.


What is your favorite Christmas memory? I have nothing but great memories. Here is one that sticks out...One year KaeLynn had a family in her ward that was really poor. We all (all my siblings that live here) decided to be their secret Santa's and we went a little over board. We got each kid like 2 school outfits, and a sunday outfit, two pairs of shoes (tennis shoe and dress shoe), then we also got them a whole bunch of toys. Plus clothes and shoes for the parents. I am not kidding the whole back of our truck was filled with gifts. Cortney then dressed up in a Santa suit and knocked on their door. They opened it and we just started piling in the gifts. The kids just stood there with a shocked look on their face. Cortney was saying funny stuff...and telling them to be good. It was awesome. The best part is everytime we saw them they were wearing clothes we had given them.

That is it. Merry Christmas.


Holy Hannah...I just realized how long this ended up being. Sorry I typed so much. Just skip to the end like my friend Shane does.

4 comments:

AJ said...

I like all of your comments. Thanks for participating. AJ

cort said...

Your cute! and hot! and nice! and funny! and stuff.

Kristine and Philip said...

Ashley, you are one of the cutest people I know. I loved reading every question and answer and about Stake Conference with Elder Hales. I should be studying for my Institute lesson tomorrow night but I am having too much fun reading this. I miss you and Cortney. We had so much fun with you on the trip. Keep up the great blog--it's so you! Have a great time in Mexico. Don't worry, the time will go by fast and pretty soon your parents and Michael will be home. Just think of all the blessings that will come your way too! = )

Berta said...

Your blog is awesome. You are so cute and we sure missed you guys this year. Have Cort call about the camera. I need to know the lens that he uses when it is dark to make it light without using the flash. We love you all. Dad Boice