Friday, February 16, 2007

Valentines

I hate Valentines day. I always have, my whole life. I even always had a boyfriend and never had to be alone, but....there is just so much pressure to do something romantic and that drives me nuts. It has probably been better since I have been married just because we don't usually do much. Cort isn't cheesy at all. This year the day was actually pretty nice. Cort let me sleep in (after some persuading from me..."Cort, you are supposed to let me sleep in its Valentines day") Nonetheless I still got to sleep in. My brother Justin and I had decided the night before that I would make a Valentine's day meal for him and his girlfriend and Cort and I. I woke up trying to decide what I was going to make. I got the kids dressed and then drove to Costco to get prepared.

Menu:

Dark green salad with white balsamic vinagarette
Wild Alaskan king Crab and sweet corn chowder
Pork roast with creamy mustard sauce
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Rolls
Creme Brulee

After Costco, I drove to Cali's house. I have not quite evolved to being a full lady yet even with my seven plus years of being marrie. Because of this lack of lady-ness I have no matching plates (well that aren't plastic), no tablecloth. All of those things that ladies have. So Cali and I scrounged up some china and stuff to make the table fancy. I had to leave my kids there because I had my appointment in Salt Lake City at the Hospital. (I have an appointment every 6 weeks for the next two years at the University of Utah hospital for my Rheumatoid Arthritis) I took Tyson to kindergarten at 12:30, then came home chopped carrots onions and shallots and got the roast in the crock pot. Then I took Jack to preschool at 1:00. Then onto the freeway to SLC. I hate driving to Salt Lake. I don't know why but going to my appointments alone is lonely. I am always waiting for my mom to be there but I am the mom now and I am all alone. The university is a teaching hospital so the girl that took my blood was just learning....I really think it was one of her first times. YEOUCH. I hate having my blood taken anyways but this time it especially hurt. My study coordinator was really trying to distract me. After my appointment I headed home to pick up my kids and get the creme brulee started. Cort came home from work about 4:30 or 5:00 and he brought me some beautiful flowers from COSTCO. Justin and Angelique came over at 8:00 after both our kids were asleep. We ate and ate (sooo yummy...good job Ashley haha). After dinner Cortney fired up his blow torch and got the creme brulee ready (which is one of my favorite desserts). It was really fun. I was glad we had them over because otherwise it would have been a normal night. You would be crazy to go out to dinner here on Valentines day. My friend went at 3:30 to try to have an early dinner. THere was already an hour wait. Plus good luck trying to find a babysitter. After all the food we watched Man vs. Wild and American Idol. It was a great day.

1 comment:

Nicole Montgomery said...

OMG- I was laughing so hard at you talking about not being a full blown lady yet. I had to call Kelly right then and read it to her.