Tuesday, December 07, 2010

The big day...

Today was Rob's surgery.

On Monday I made a HUGE batch of chicken noodle soup because I knew that I wouldn't have time to cook much in the next couple of days and there is nothing better on a cold night. Robbie helped me roll out a million little Christmas shaped noodles. It took forever but was one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

We had three cookie sheets of noodles.

I don't think I have mentioned but with Cortney getting hit by a car this summer we met our out of pocket maximum early this year. It didn't hit me until it was almost too late that we should all get our medical problems taken care of before next year starts. Rob has never been able to breath. He always has a stuffy nose and always has a cold. So we took him in to get it checked out. The doctor said he had huge adenoids and we should have them taken out.

At his follow up appointment she said his tonsils were looking more swollen than she would like too...so she might take those out too. Adenoid surgery takes about 48 hours to recover. Tonsillectomies take 12 days. Yikes. I knew that she would want to take out his tonsils and sure enough she did. She said that one of his tonsils was huge and so once it was out she cut it open to see what was going on inside of it and it was filled with PUSS. Yuck. I was really glad she took the tonsils out because I don't want to deal with them in. It is just so much better to get it all done at once. Plus...it was all FREE. You can't beat that.

We were lucky to get a 9:00 surgery time so Rob didn't have to fast too long. Cali took Henry and My neighbor Sarah (and Jed) watched Oliver and took and picked him up from school. Thanks so much people.

Rob in his hospital gown with his build-a-bear that we got special for the surgery...it is his first one and so far he has taken him everywhere with him.

Once we were at the hospital Rob started getting quiet and a little mad. He wasn't talking to anyone...and wouldn't answer the nurses questions. He would just ignore them. Right before it was time I could tell he was getting teary eyed...I was so worried. But the nurse that came to get him started to tickle him a little and he relaxed.

I was feeling pretty emotional when they wheeled him away from me. I remember crying for my mom when I got my appendix out when I was five.

The hospital staff was great. They brought him a blanket, a hot wheel car, a little electronic game and a hospital buddy. He liked that part.

Here is what I saw when I came into the room to find him...

He was so sad after the surgery. Sad and mad. He didn't want me to put that tube by his face. He said "get that tube away from me mom...I mean it." I took it right away after that.

Then they brought him Loritab and he turned into this...

He wanted this picture with his and his dog's matching casts.

He here is when the loritab hadn't yet worn out...he was acting so good, and happy.
He ate so much...Cortney said he will probably be the only kid to gain weight on a liquid diet. He drank a couple of these soup cups, and a bunch of danimals.

Oliver has been so sad. This whole thing has been hard for him. All of the attention Rob is getting...it just doesn't seem fair to him. To make matters worse Henry has a REALLY bad diaper rash and is getting all of Cortney's attention. He was bawling tonight...and acting like he was going to throw up. I laid with him until he went to sleep. Poor baby.

I wrote this post earlier in the night.

Since then everything has been horrible.

Rob wouldn't go to sleep until 11:30 and here I am finishing this post at 3:30 a.m. He was crying and drooling so bad I thought he might be better if he could sit up have a Popsicle and watch a little tv. It is time for him to have more medicine but he wont take it. He can't even swallow at all. I tried giving him water and it just came right out. It is freaking me out. I remember from when I got my tonsils out that it was always worse in the night. I don't know how to survive without us getting any sleep.


Hansens said...

We crushed all of the medicine up and put it in things like ice cream or applesauce or pudding or something. Not that you haven't tried that. Hope he feels better soon and you all get some rest. The first about 3 days are hard and then it gets way better. Sending good wishes your way

cort said...

What a crappy night!

Angelique said...

Ash...have you tried Triple Paste for Henry's diaper rash? It's amazing, only at Target, and sort of expensive but worth it.

Poor Rob, hope he is feeling better this morning.

bBchronicles said...

Wow, I can't think of ONE GOOD NIGHT when kids are getting over something like this! All I can tell you is I STILL REMEMBER the night I got mine out - even childbirth doesn't compare!!!!!!!! (tonsils being worse!) LOL! Every day is going to get better and better - at least it's OVER and you can now move onto CORTNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the photo of Oli comforting ROB and with a relatively sweet smile on his face. HANG IN THERE MOM!

PS I'll take tonsils over amputations any day!!!!! Poor Bella!

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

It was great to talk to you. Good post. Thanks for the updates. Hang in there ROB.
Love Grandma Connie

{natalie} said...

oh ash, i'm sorry it was a crappy night. i hate being the mom when it's crazy and your kid is in pain and i'm not sure how to handle it. i hope today was better and i hope you got some sleep. love you guys.